Part 4 of 5 in the iPad for Business series. What can an iPad offer me for work?
Niche Apps. Applications that meet a need but aren’t for everyone. From Guides to remote location maps, drawing to remote control, these are the apps that help you out in those unique situations.
AppStart for iPad ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appstart-for-ipad/id408984648?mt=8 )
Free – iPad: This a great guide to get you started. It features some tips, some apps, and some things you may not be aware that your iPad can do. And best part… it’s free.
Bento for iPad ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bento-for-ipad/id363230518?mt=8 )
4.99 – iPad: A great mobile database app. Easily create simple databases, lists, and other catalogs. Will sync with Bento for the Mac.
Find My iPhone/iPad ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8 )
Free – Universal: Hopefully you’ll never use this, but one day you’ll find yourself misplacing your iPad. Requires internet access to work, but it can easily locate iPads.
Drawing Apps There are many drawing apps and aids for use on the iPad. Here are some I recommend.
- Photoshop PSD Viewer ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photoshop-psd-viewer/id408723437?mt=8 ) 0.99 – Universal: Great viewer that handles Photoshop files on your iPad.
- Brushes – iPad Edition ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id363590649?mt=8 ) 7.99 – iPad: Little app that allows you to do some quick drawing while on the road. If you search online, there are some amazing artwork that this has been used to create.
- Adobe Photoshop Express ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-photoshop-express/id331975235?mt=8 ) Free – Universal: It’s almost Photoshop for your iPad. Basically it’s the filters and effects of Photoshop on your iPad. No drawing per say though. In addition, although the app is free, many filters require an in-app purchase.
VNC apps: In addition to one I’ll cover tomorrow here are some VNC & remote apps
- Mocha VNC ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mocha-vnc/id284981670?mt=8 ) 5.99 – Universal: This is what I personally use. Easy, simple interface with most of the options you’ll need in a VNC client.
- Remote Desktop – RDP ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remote-desktop-rdp/id288362053?mt=8 ) 5.99 – Universal: Another great VNC client. Again covers the basics of VNC.
- iSSH – SSH / VNC Console ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/issh-ssh-vnc-console/id287765826?mt=8 ) 9.99 – Universal: Little bit more full featured, in addition to being a basic VNC program, this adds the additional SSH interface for remote access.
(Note – iPad designed for the iPad, iPhone– designed for iPhone & scales for iPad, Universal– Designed for both, Native– Part of the iOS applications)